Indoor Air Quality and Energy Efficiency of Ventilation Systems
The IAQVS programme scope covers mechanical ventilation systems for single-family homes and apartments.
The categories of ventilation systems covered by the scope are the following:
- Central, single flow (supply or exhaust) without heat recovery
- Central, double flow (balanced ventilation) with or without heat recovery
- Single-room, single flow (decentralised continuous ventilation for supply or exhaust)
- Single-room, double flow (balanced ventilation) with or without heat recovery
Certified performance items
The IAQVS programme is intended to certify the performance of an assembly of ventilation components forming a specific ventilation system. The performances are evaluated considering the whole assembly, which enables to assess the synergies between its constituting components.
The ventilation system is evaluated through simulations in consistency with its application field. The simulations provide performance indicators that enable to assess the ventilation system performance from both Indoor Air Quality and Energy Efficiency perspectives:
Indoor Air Quality indicators
A global Indoor Air Quality indicator (IIAQ) is defined as the average of the following indicators:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration indicator (ICO2) which represents air stuffiness
- Air Relative Humidity (RH) indicator (IH2O) which represents the excess/lack of humidity in the air
- Formaldehyde concentration indicator (IFOR) which represents the chemical pollution emitted by furniture and construction materials
The IAQ indicators are expressed by individual grades from 0 (bad Indoor Air Quality) to 5 (good Indoor Air Quality). They are rounded to one decimal place.
Energy Efficiency indicators
The following Energy performance indicators are assessed:
- Energy consumption of the fan (Efan)
- Consumption induced by air renewal (Eheating)
They are expressed in kWh/annum (rounded to the nearest integer).
All these indicators are represented in a label specific to each ventilation system.