A chilled beam is a terminal air conditioning unit intended primarily to cool air convectively in a room using ice water. It can be passive or active. Active beams can also be used to heat the room.
Passive chilled beams are in the form of a very long heat exchanger. Active chilled beams additionally have a fresh air supply connected to an external ventilation system. The fresh air is injected by small nozzles, creating a secondary draught coming from the room. The convection in the exchanger is thus reinforced.
Chilled beams are coupled with a chilled water production unit (cooling) to supply the water into the thermal batteries at the correct temperature.
- High level of comfort
- The air speeds are very slow in the occupied area which is very comfortable for the users.
- Condensate drainage not required
- Because the water temperature is high in the battery (usually 18 °C at the inlet), there is no condensation and no drain pump is needed.
- Low maintenance
- Low maintenance is required for cold beams, which are simple and robust products.
Compare to make the right choice
It is very easy to make the right choice: just compare the products. But when product performance is not certified, this becomes impossible.
Certification makes it possible to compare objectively.
- The product performance is evaluated according to the same criteria, and the results are expressed in the same unit of measurement, regardless of the country where the products are manufactured or marketed.
- A certified product has its performance verified by an impartial, independent and competent accredited body.
- Certified products comply with standards.
- A product whose performance is certified will work according to the specifications stated by the manufacturer.
The performances we certify
- Cooling capacity
- Water pressure drop
- Air flow (for active chilled beams only)